- Butter Cake Mix ( You can also buy lemon flavored cake mix and follow the instructions on the back of the box, I personally love butter cake mix and adjusting it to my flavors)
- 1 Lemon ( zested and squeeze)
- 1/4 cup of water
- 2/3 cup of lemon juice
- 3 eggs
- 1 stick of melted butter
- 1 Tablespoon of vanilla
Lemon Mousse Ingredients:
- 1/2 Cup Butter (unsalted), softened
- 1 Cup Sugar
- 2 Large Eggs
- 2 Large Egg Yolks
- 1/3 Cup Fresh Lemon Juice
- 1 Tablespoon Lemon Zest, plus a little extra
- 3/4 Cup Whipping Cream
- 1/2 Teaspoon Vanilla Extract
Lemon Frosting Ingredients:
- 8 ounces mascarpone, softened*
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup lemon curd
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- Pre-heat oven to 350
- Spray/grease 2 cake pan with butter. Set aside
- Add cake mix to a bowl, add 3 eggs 2/3 cups of lemon juice 1/4 cup of water 1 tablespoon of butter mix well
- Take a whole lemon and zest with a cheese grater add to cake mix. Squeeze the juice of the lemon in the cake mix as well. Mix well.
- Pour mix in both pans evenly, place in oven and cook for 35 minutes or until done. Set aside
- In mixer add the butter and sugar. Mix on low.
- Start adding the 2 eggs and 2 yolks one at a time( You have a total of 4 eggs 2 of them you are removing the egg whites from and only using the yolks)
- With mixer still on low, pour in lemon juice and zest. It will make the mixture look curdled.
- Pour the curd into a medium saucepan and cook over medium heat whisking occasionally until it no longer looks curdled.
- Turn the heat up to medium high, continue to whisk until the mixture thickens.
- Turn off the heat and let the mixture cool for 5 minutes.
- Pour through a fine strainer into a bowl and cover with plastic wrap, press wrap down so it is touching the curd the surface. Chill for 90 minutes.
- In mixer add whip cream and vanilla until stiff peaks form.
- Gently fold about 2/3 of the whipped cream into the lemon curd.
- Apply to bottom layer of cake leaving the edges untouched with the moose
- Apply top layer of cake and frost
Directions for frosting:
- Using an electric mixer on medium speed, beat the mascarpone, cream, and lemon curd until thoroughly combined and smooth.
- Brush top of the cake with lemon juice. Spread the frosting over the top of the cake.
- Chill the cake for at least an hour before serving to allow the frosting to set.