Something different. I am not a fan of sushi but I love the look of it, I am also not a fan of imitation crab meat. So I took it upon myself to try something my own way. I have to be honest it was the best idea i’ve come up with.
Homemade California Rolls
- 1 cup Crabmeat (
- Nori sushi wrappers
- Sushi Rice
- Ground Mustard
- Rice Vinegar
- Mayo or whipped cream cheese
- Lime chili seasoning (optional)
- Sesame seed
- Saucepan with tight fitted lid
- Sushi kit (If you don’t have a sushi kit I found mine in bed bath and beyond for $12 bucks. You can also find it in K-mart and your local Asian corner stores and some supermarkets)
I use traditional sushi rice and I rinse the rice till the water is clear.
- I then soak the rice of 30 minutes before cooking.
- In a medium saucepan bring soaked rice and water to boil.
- Cover with a lid, reduce heat to a low simmer and cook for 20 minutes.
- Remove from heat with lid still on and let steam for 20 minutes.
- As you wait, slice thin your cucumbers and avocado. Set aside
Once cooked mix in a bowl
- 4 tbsp rice vinegar,
- 1 tsb salt,
- 1 tsb sugar \
- 1tsp lime chili seasoning
- 4 tbsp water –
Add mixture into the rice and mix well. This is to give your rice flavor.
- Cover the bamboo mat in plastic wrap.
- Cut a piece of nori in two..
- Cut up some avocado, cucumber. Thinly sliced
- Place the nori sheet at the end of the mat.
- Add a small hand full of sushi rice on the nori sheet, leaving space on either side..
- Shake on some sesame seeds or furikake.
- In a bowl mix your crab meat ground mustard and mayo.
- (OPTIONAL) I add a little bit of fish seasoning salt and chili pepper sauce (aka sriracha) for a nice kick
- Flip the whole thing over (don’t worry if you really used sushi rice it’s possible)
- Place one slice avocado, cucumber and crab meat mixture (thin slice) along the middle of the roll.
- Roll gently and tight. Cut roll in half
FOR DIPPING SAUCE: Soy sauce,lemon juice and wasabi. Mix well to taste.
Yummy! Dig in and enjoy!