- 3 large green plantains
- 1 large yellow plantains ( optional)
- 1 lb jumbo shrimp
- 1 package of sazon
- 1 med onion
- 1 bunch of fresh cilantro
- 2 whole garlic
- 1 red, green & yellow pepper
- 3 ajices dulces peppers ( if you can’t find it no worries)
- 1/8 cup of vinegar
- 1 large tomato & 1 medium tomato
- 1/4 c tomato sauce
- 1/4 c crushed tomatoes
- 1/2 c minced garlic
- 1/2 c small cubed ham steak or bacon
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 cup of vegetable oil
- 1/2 c water
- 1/2 tsp cumi
- 1 tsp sweet paprika
- salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 400
- Chop and add in blender onions, 2 whole garlic,peppers, large tomato vinegar, cilantro,ajices dulces peppers, 1/8 cup of salt, 1 package of sazon, 1/8 cup of adobo. Blend well and set aside. Congrats you just made sofrito 😉
- Peel and cut plantains into cubes,
- Add 1/2 cup of vegetable oil to pan, Once hot fry at med high heat for about 6 minutes. 3 minutes or less on each size.
- Add bacon or ham, cook until crispy.
- In a bowl Mix together olive oil and minced garlic,1 tsp salt,1 tsp pepper
- Now clean shrimp and season w salt and pepper,set aside.
- In a saute pan add 1 tbsp olive oil,when it is hot add sofrito and crushed tomatoes and tomato sauce,
- Cook for 3 minutes then add cumin and paprika cook for 2 minutes.
- Stir in water and salt and pepper to taste,simmer on med high for 2 minutes when bubbly add shrimp
- Cover on low heat,cook on med low for 7 minutes or until shrimp is cooked and sauce is slightly thickened.turn off flame.
- Now refry plantains for 8 minutes or until golden,remove and put in a large bowl,add bacon and mash well while mixing in bacon,then mix in garlic/oil.
- Now in an oven safe bowl add half of the shrimp with sauce, take half of the plantain mix on a flat surface and form into a dome shape,the size of your bowl,and leave the bottom inside shallow,place on top of shrimp stew.bake at 400 degrees for 15 minutes or until golden brown on top.serve hot.
*Note if you do not like shrimp, you can substitute with chicken beef or pork, You can fry your chicken cutlets. Once cooked let it marinate in the sauce for 7 minutes as you do the shrimp, Or chop chicken, beef or pork and boil it in two cups of broth and 1 cup of water with 2 tables of salt for 20 minutes on high or till your able to shred, remove from broth and add to sauce for 7 minutes*
2 thoughts on “Shrimp Mofongo”